Natural Envy Spotlights: Naturally Me Living Loving Being








































































































KS:  When  did you decide to go Natural  what motivated you to do it?
NMLLB: Everything started in 2003.  I was going  through a transition in my life.  I was reading different books on  afro/caribbean history, literature and self awareness.  I was seeing  more of what was going on in our society than I did before (i.e.  political, social, etc...).  The food I was eating, the way I wore my  hair and the way I lived my life overall was things I started to  question. 

Where my hair was concerned,  two of my good friends are natural, and they would encourage me to make  the transition.  I did want to do it as I had never been a fan of the  "creamy crack".  I would only relax my hair once a year!  One time I did  not relax it for 2 years and found it difficult.  But I did know that I  did not want to continue this process.  A friend of mine had invited  me, in 2004, to the 2004 Toronto Natural Hair & Beauty Show.  I was very excited and attended.  I met and saw so many beautiful brothas & sistas with their natural hair just living life!  They were happy and free!  I  attended Dr. Sheila Everett Hale's seminar at the show and she broke  down the life of a kinky hair strand (my name for the seminar).  She  explained why it is the way it is and how chemicals kill it.  One thing  she said that really affected was that the longer one continues to relax  their, the greater the chance of your hair texture  changing and loosing the kink and thickness.  Now my hair has always  been thick and I really did not want to loose that.  Also, I knew the  chemicals was affecting me health wise.  My body was absorbing the  unnatural creams, lotions, sprays, etc... I  decided right then and there at the show, I was no longer going to be a  'crack' lover!  I changed my thinking, to continue my journey of new  self discovery.  So that night after the show, on my way home, I stopped  in at a barber shop  down the street from my home.  I walked in and told the barber to cut  it all off.  The shop was filled with pure men and boys who all looked  at me and laughed.  One of the barber's said he wouldn't do because he  didn't think I was serious and if he did cut my hair, I would regret it  and blame him.  I told him that wasn't the case but nevertheless, he  wouldn't do it.  Another barber, a young one around my age (at the  time), said he would, I would just have to wait. I said no problem.  His  client was so intrigued with me cutting off my hair he stopped his  service and allowed the barber to take me.  I told the him to 'fire up  the sheers and shave her off!  All off!' When he was done, I felt,  light, free, open and bald!!!!  And I loved it!  When I got home, I  couldn't stop starring at myself.  It was at that moment I knew I  changed and evolved!  No regrets!!!


 
   KS: Have you ever had a perm and what was your experience?


   NMLLB: Yes.   As in my story above.  It wasn't a bad experience but I wouldn't say it  was good.  It was just the norm.  It was something that was almost a  right of passage for young women.  Once you reach a certain age you  finally get to go to the salon with your mother and get your own perm.  I  found the whole ritual annoying and confusing.  The idea of having to  sit in a salon for hours at a time to get your hair straightened and  wait for the everlasting 'burn' to know your cooked and ready to wash  out was just troublesome!!!  I hated it and would only go once a year!  I  actually loved the kinks in my hair when the new growth came in.  But,  my mind and body was already conditioned to going and 'bunnin' those  kinks out!  i finally said no more one year and rehab off the crack for 2  years!  But again it wasn't easy and I fell off the wagon and was  hooked once again.  Shortly after, I quit for good!




 KS: What are you favorite products to use?
NMLLB: I don't really have a  favorite product.  Because my hair now healthier than it ever has been  and I take care of it, my mind and body in a healthy manner, I find I  can use alot of different products.  I love to try all different natural  products made by people in their home.  Some lines I do use regularly  are:


Adiva products - www.adivanatural.com


   Princess Kayla's Nattylocks Cream - www.pknattylocks.com

I also create some natural oil  combos for myself.  But I do use on a regular black/plantain soap for  hair & skin and unrefined coconut oil for skin & hair.  The best thing! 
   




 KS: What do you do, any special talents?
NMLLB: Oh my!  A special talent?   Don't think I do.  I cam play the piano annnndddd...LOL  Can't say I do  anything that would be considered talented.  I love to get my feet wet  in all kinds of creative movements.  Whether it drawing, sewing,  jewellery making, hair styling....you name it, I'll try it!  I aim to  develop a talent!!!

KS:  What has been the response with your natural choices positive and negative?
NMLLB: That is a great question!   It wasn't positive or negative, more defense and justification for their  own choices.  When I started on my journey I found people's reactions  funny.  When someone would ask "Why are you doing this?  Is it for  medical reasons?"  I would laugh!  The first thing they assumed was  medical.  It couldn't be just because I wanted to.  When I explained my  reasoning, most I think, took it personal and felt compelled to defend  and justify the choices they made.  I have never forced or degraded  anyone's natural hair, health & beauty choices but the mere fact I  was on the "natural hair, health & beauty'" path put them on the  defensive.  I am an advocate for being yourself and standing by the  choices you make.  If you happy with them then be proud!

KS:  Do you feel more free, more yourself?  Describe why?


 NMLLB:  Yes I do!  As you said in  your question, I feel free, strong, positive - more of who I am.  I am  constantly evolving, deprogramming myself from the stereotypical ways  living and thinking that I have been taught to do.

KS:  Do you have any favorite sites or sites of your own?
NMLLB: My site is 'still under  construction'.  There are so many things I want to do!  So many  ideas!!!  Sites that promote natural hair, health & beauty I like!   Some are:





it will then be streamed through the following

http://ILoveMyLocs.Grouply.comhttp://ILoveMyLocs.Grouply.com
http:ILoveMyLocs.Blogspot.com  /  www.ILoveMyLocs.Net

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ILoveMyLocshttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ILoveMyLocs
http://feeds.feedburner.com/IlovemyLocshttp://feeds.feedburner.com/IlovemyLocs
http://ILoveMyLocsbyKittySonFlower.Tumblr.comhttp://ILoveMyLocsbyKittySonFlower.Tumblr.com
http://ILoveMyLocs.Spruz.comhttp://ILoveMyLocs.Spruz.com