On the Pink Couch Spotlight : Zahira Kelly ( Vintage Americana - Late 40's, 50's - Black Pin Up Model Photographer, Painter and Stylist )















































Art work found on :
by Artist Zahira Kelly


On the pink couch today is artist and siren Zahira Kelly.  This lovely goddess is a talented artist and painter and will share a bit about what she does and what's coming up.

KS:  When did you know that you had a talent for art?

ZK: First, thanks so much for approaching me and for the kind words. You are too sweet. *blushes* My mother tells me I knew how to color inside the lines before I could walk. I am also a singer/songwriter so as far as art goes in general, its just always been my passion and calling.

KS: At what point did you realize your art was a professional career?

ZK: It's funny because even after having gone to school for it, I never gave art a second thought as a career. It was always something to do out of just love. I am a big fan of vintage Americana so it was frustrating running search after search for pin ups and finding no one who looked even remotely like me. I have spent my entire life drawing the female figure so one day a lightbulb went off and I set out to create my own. People saw it online and before I knew it the commissions started rolling in slowly but surely. So, for me the concept of art as a career is a recent revelation for sure. I'm am still growing and expanding and am now traversing into making music, as well. We will see what happens!

KS: Where did your passion for this type of art begin, who influenced you or whom did you idolize?

ZK: I have always been a bit of a retrophile and plus I was raised within Latin American culture where that kind of Marilyn Monroe/Betty Boop, red-lipstick, heels and flowers in your hair to do housework, coquettish culture never really went out of style.

KS:  Where do you find the models for your work?

ZK:  Well, for commissions, usually the client picks the model. I have no real say in it. For my personal test shoots I usually post a casting call online soliciting ethnic models and photograph pretty much whoever replies and shows up so thats obviously quite arbitrary. Other models I have approached personally (usually the girls with natural afro hair, sue me lol). It all depends.

KS:  Do you also style them?

ZK:  Most of it, yes. All of the styling you see is done by me: hair, makeup and wardrobe, unless otherwise noted.

KS:  I read that you are stationed in Atlanta, I'm from the ATL living in Cali.  What is the market like for this type of niche is it an underground type of thing or is it a growing trand?

ZK:  Nice! ATL was my home for a bit but I am now in Miami. It was in ATL that I was able to participate in my 1st Art Gallery Exhibition. It was really the perfect city to dip my toes.

For the current moment (and it probably always will be lol) this is definitely an underground, sub-culture kind of niche given its rarity. It has been surprisingly well received, I think because it is, indeed, a trend as of late--the whole retro, pin up, Betty Paige style has hit mainstream culture. Dita Von Teese is a household name these days and there was that Burlesque movie, too.  Even Beyonce has recently jumped on the bandwagon, and Janelle Monae has made it her signature look.  I believe more and more black girls out there, like me, are now asking themselves: "Where are the ones who look like me?"...and that is where I come in.

Also, I have been approached and thanked profusely by non-black vintage, rockabilly and pin up-enthusiasts, amongst others because they would like to add some spice and variety to their currently mostly vanilla collections and have been waiting for someone like me. Basically, while its a small niche, it definitely has its faithful fans and its growing a bit because of the current trends.

KS:  I have 4 tattoos, how many do you have and how old were you when you got your first one?

ZK: *salutes fellow tattoo-lover* Currently I have 6 of them and plan to get many more--Roses and flowers and maybe a pin up on my forearm amongst other things (It was when I began thinking about that forearm tattoo that I started thinking about black pin ups, actually, as I didnt want to emblazon a blond, blue eyed girl on my arm forever when I could just have her look like me.) I actually got my 1st at age 16 by a friend who was learning. I just always knew I'd end up with a bunch.


KS:  Is your work available for purchase?

ZK: Yes, it is. I sell prints of both my illustrations and photographs and am always available to do custom work as well. 


KS:  Can you list the services you provide for the viewers?

ZK: I offer Photography, Custom Pin Up Art & Portraits, Art Prints, Illustrations, Graphic Design, Wardrobe Styling, Hair Styling, and Makeup Artistry.


KS:  What's next on the horizon for you?

ZK: There is a published collection of my works on the way, in addition to merchandise, and more.

KS:  Where can the viewers check out your fabulous work?  List all your sites.    
ZK: At the moment everything can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/kellysdolls. Thanks so much, once more. :)

KS:  Very eloquent and articulate answers, she's definitely ready for the spotlight, ILML wishes you the best on all your endeavors and once your album drops you'll have to share your music with us. ***Kisses***

Kitty












I am SOOOO all over this hairstyle Zahira -I LOVES IT!- Kitty